10/25/2008

Show reviews: Blondie's on Monday and Thee Parkside on Thursday

There are two shows for me to review this week. I played solo on Monday at Blondie's and with Gee on Thursday. Let's do this in chronological order, shall we?

Blondie's: We all know that Monday is a tough night to get people to come out and since I had two gigs this week, I really pushed the other gig more than this one so there were none of my people there besides my wife. It was really low key, as Blondie's tends to be and most of my audience was comprised of the band playing after me, The Moondoggies. They were nice boys and excellent musicians.

My wife caught up on her hand-stitching as I played. The two Guinness I ordered were perfectly poured and hit the spot. I really should have pitched my mailing list more (which, by the way, you can sign up on at the top right of this page) but it was so low-energy in there, I didn't do too much talking at all. Just playing. Overall, good. My wife remembered the camera. These pictures have an eerie feel to them.





Thee Parkside: I read back over this blog recently and realized that every time I review a show it starts out "well, I was really stressed out that day..." so I was trying to have a different attitude about getting to this show. I commented over dinner that I was glad I don't get so nervous that I can't eat, which is how I used to be. I got to the club on time. Everything was fine.

The two opening bands (B And Not B and Whitey On The Moon) were both really cool. They shared a few members between them but still had their own thing going on. Plus everyone was so nice, including all of the friends they brought with them. I love nice friends. Admittedly, I did not get nearly as many friends there as I should have. Also, two of them who did show up couldn't make it to 11:30 pm, (I wouldn't have been able to either if I wasn't playing) which is when we started so that left me with one friend in attendance. She is the best Little Helper of all, let me tell you.

Gee also had a few friends attend. I'm not sure how many. Three? They sat out back so I didn't really see her too much before the show. I went out and grabbed her when it was our turn. Within a few moments, I realized that she was drunk. The show was a little uneven as a result but still going really well. The audience (which was mostly the first two bands along with their nice friends) was digging it. I was feeling good. Gee called for another beer. This would later prove to be a mistake.

There were a few dudes in the corner that were being really loud. Loud enough so that at one point, I almost lost focus but I stayed with it and blocked it out. This was not as easy for Gee to do and before the last song, she got on a microphone and exploded. She started cursing out the guys in the corner, one of whom was the sound guy. I won't repeat everything she said because I'm not trying to embarrass anyone. I just want to explain why Gee is no longer in The Heated.

Anyway, so the sound guy started yelling back at her there was a brief exchange of words. The club then went dead silent. In that silence, some smart-ass woman in the audience did exactly what I would have, had I been an audience member instead of on stage. She said, in a sing-songy way, "Awk-ward," and oh it was. It was.

The whole thing had me so rattled that I couldn't remember how to start the song. The silence (punctuated only by the "awkward" comment) stretched out until I remembered that The Current Or The Undertow? starts with me, solo. That last song was a mess. Wrong chords by the both of us. Poor timing. We made it through. Barely. If that song had fallen apart in the middle of it, I probably would have left it to die.

Things wound down quickly after that. There was a brief conversation between Gee and me but I quickly remembered that there is no reasoning with someone who is drunk. Believe me when I say I have a lot of experience in that area. I stayed calm, stayed smiling, got my stuff together, said goodbye to all and left. Then I went home and cried a lot.

Gee wrote to me the next morning, extremely apologetic and mortified. I'm sure this blog will not help. If this had happened under different circumstance, I wouldn't write about it here but this was in front of an audience as a representative of my organization. It's regrettably pertinent.
Gee has resigned. I have accepted. There is no ill will on my part whatsoever and I mean, who among us has not gotten accidentally drunk then acted like a jackass? I consider Gee a friend and wish her nothing but the best.

Let us not dwell. Let us just move forward.

The Worst Show?: No, this was not the worst show of my life. The worst show of my life took place in Tempe, Arizona years and years ago while I was on tour with another band. There was a show where not a single person showed up and the guitarist had such a wounded ego about it because she had booked the show that she got wasted drunk (see a pattern here?) and played horribly, which I found ridiculously unnecessary. We got in a huge fight afterward. I stepped away and disconnected from the whole situation(because of the whole not reasoning with drunks), but then she called my name out. As I turned to look at her she took a picture of me and said, snarkily, "I just wanted to take a picture so that you can take a look at yourself." This was before digital cameras so the picture got printed out and everything. That show remains the lowest point of my performing career. Below is the photo from that night. I look like death with my black hair, sucking on a cigarette. Gross. It was not a good time in my life.




So, in the grand scheme of things, not such a big deal. Maybe that's what I get for naming my band The Heated. Anyway, let us not dwell. Let us just move forward. Here's how I am today.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ridin' down the highway
Goin' to a show
Stop in all the by-ways
Playin' rock 'n' roll
Gettin' robbed
Gettin' stoned
Gettin' beat up
Broken boned
Gettin' had
Gettin' took
I tell you folks
It's harder than it looks

It's a long way to the top
If you wanna rock 'n' roll
It's a long way to the top
If you wanna rock 'n' roll
If you think it's easy doin' one night stands
Try playin' in a rock roll band
It's a long way to the top
If you wanna rock 'n' roll

Hotel, motel
Make you wanna cry
Lady do the hard sell
Know the reason why
Gettin' old
Gettin' grey
Gettin' ripped off
Under-paid
Gettin' sold
Second hand
That's how it goes
Playin' in a band

It's a long way to the top
If you wanna rock 'n' roll
It's a long way to the top
If you wanna rock 'n' roll
If you wanna be a star of stage and screen
Look out it's rough and mean
It's a long way to the top
If you wanna rock 'n' roll.

Hang on in there Christina.